Defense of the projects under the program “SolidWorks elementary” took place at NoosphereEngineeringSchool. Well done, guys. However, let us find out what SolidWorks is and why you should devote ten weeks to undergo this course.
So, SolidWorks is one of the most popular programs for design engineering and 3D modelling. It is considered the basic program of industrial enterprises, which are engaged in development and production of various parts, engineering structures, and in industrial design. In fact, it is a designer with the required set of tools for creation of objects in digital form. It also provides a plenty of extended functionalities enabling to perform virtual tests of a model.
Currently, the software is available for installation in OS Windows and has a basic functionality. Let us see what we are able to create even without installation of additional extensions in SolidWorks:
- Solid-state and surface 3D modelling;
- Structural assembly;
- Design of welded structures;
- Export of data in various formats;
- Modeling of structure or object taking into consideration material of the article;
- Calculations for strength;
- Bending analysis;
- Electric circuits design;
- Animation of off-the-shelf item;
- Hydrodynamic and aerodynamic design;
- Handling of 3D scan data.
Special attention should be paid to 3D modelling, as it is a basis of design of any article. SolidWorks provides an opportunity of the following types of modelling:
- Solid-state modelling. It is ideally suited for 3D printing and an excellent option for visualization of the designed real-life object.
- Surface modelling, implemented using splines and curves. It enables creation of articles with smooth surfaces and bends. It is frequently used in industrial design.
- Wireframe or “skeleton” modeling. It enables to get an idea of the form of modeled object.
Modelling under the program is carried out based on drawings, which are subjected to such operations as: rotation, extrusion, cutting out, rounding, mirror reflection, creation of thin-walled element and thread.
To sum it up, the answer to the initial question what SolidWorks is and why you should devote ten weeks to undergo this course is, as follows: Because we can argue that SolidWorks is one of basic systems of automated design engineering, enabling design of an article or components of any degree of complexity, and being a popular software to design 3D models. These skills are required in design and creation of real-life products.
Bellow you can find several projects of students, who undertook the elementary course SolidWorks in our Engineering School:
- “deep groove ball single thrust bearing” – the project of the student of DNU, Physical and Technical Faculty;
- “sport and training aircraftYak-52” - the project of the student of DNU, Physical and Technical Faculty;
- “lightsaber hilt” - the project of the student of DNU, Physical and Technical Faculty;
- “saxophone” – project of the 11th grade pupil, Waldorf School;
- “design of single screw extruder to produce polymer filaments” - the project of the postgraduate student of DNU, Physical and Technical Faculty.